Available on backorder: This means that the product is currently not in stock at IORGREEN store. You can still order the article, and IORGREEN staff will then order the article at the supplier. In general the delay on back-ordered articles is 5 to 8 working days.
Bamboo charcoal water filters are a refreshingly simple and natural way of filtering tap water. Just leave it in a jug filled with tap water and it will slowly filter out impurities such as chlorine and chloramines make your water tastier and free from typical tap water odour. A zero waste alternative to plastic water filters. The filters can be reused in many useful ways throughout your house and composted at the end of their life.
Other woods can be used to make charcoal for filtering water but the larger number of porous cavities in bamboo charcoal is considered to give it better filtering abilities – 3 times greater per gramme than wood charcoal. As a fast-growing plant, supply is abundant and sustainable.
After using charcoal as a water filter for 2 months you can reuse it in the home for a further 6 to 12 months. Dry out in the sun to maintain good condition, your charcoal can have a very useful second life. After using the bamboo charcoal water filters for around 2-6 months, don’t throw it away! Charcoal also regulates moisture, reduces odors, inhibits mold and keeps food fresh. You can be creative and give your charcoal a second life, for example in:
– mouldy kitchen and bathroom corners
– places you keep food and fruits (e.g. the fridge, bread bin, fruit bowl)
– smelly places (e.g. the fridge, loo, shoes)
– places you want to keep very dry (e.g. chests of drawers)
How to use
Use approx: 1 litre jug = 3 – 4 pieces; 2 litre jug = 6 – 8 pieces
1. Wash in running water to remove powder (do not use detergent).
2. Boil for 10 mins in a pan of water to sterilise & allow to cool and dry.
3. Place in a jug and fill with tap water (charcoal may float when new but it will tend to sink after a week or so of use).
4. Leave for 8 hours or more for best results. You can leave it in the fridge to chill if you like. It’s then ready to drink.
5. Re-sterilise once a week by repeating step 2.
6. Replace with new charcoal after 2-6 months approx.